Monday, October 22, 2012

Windows & Mirrors Chapters 4 - 6

Bolter & Gromala shape Chapter 4 around the Magic Book. While I don't find the Magic Book intriguing at all, I do understand how the comparison fits in with brief description of remediation. "Remediation is the making of new media forms out of older ones" (p.83). I would have to agree that this notion is true. The idea of a computer as a machine that is simply used to convey information has proved to be untrue. As technology gets more complicated, we see how reflective of life it actually is.

Bolter & Gromala also discussed how new media reinvents other [old] media. "But the borrowing of older media forms always has a double sense: it both honors the older forms and challenges them" (p.93).  I have the perfect example for this: radio. At one time, standard radio was extremely popular. Now it's popularity has decreased because it has so many other mediums to compete with; satellite radio, internet radio, television, and the internet in general. In particular, I think of how Power 1051 has dealt with the new media competition. In an attempt to compete in the new media market, their morning radio show 'the Breakfast Club' is now video-recorded. So not only can you listen to the show through regular FM airwaves, you can also watch the physical interview on the station's website. I think this is a good example of how new media forms challenges older forms.

Chapters 5 & 6 are based around the themes diversity and materiality. I was very interested in Chapter 5's section on wearable forms of media. Watches are what the chapter mainly focused on. However, when I was looking up other forms I found these google computing glasses that are set to launch soon (or have launched already, I think I'm a little late).  I never knew about them but I find it pretty creepy.




"Competition for attention is definitely the ultimate motive behind remediation...." I wonder if there will  ever be a stopping point. 


3 comments:

  1. That video was very interesting. I've never heard of Project glass before, is the photo above the video suppose to be a concept for how it's suppose to look?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that how the actual eyewear looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Project Glass is a prime example how technology continues to advance and we hardly have time to catch up. This gadget will definitely shape how we socialize and interact. I think its pretty cool yet I think its just another form that we will be dependent on.

    ReplyDelete