Monday, November 26, 2012

Another Book Bites The Dust

This set of reading was particularly interesting. I took a liking to the sections that discussed education in terms of virtual reality and internet courses. I found the idea of virtual reality in school settings very intriguing. I believe it could work but it would have to be limited (and since us Americans hate limitations, it probably wouldn't work, lol). I just think there's a beautiful essence to traditional education and it shouldn't be tampered with. My fear with introducing virtual organizations is the possibility of them replacing regular institutions altogether. Other than these disadvantages, I do think that if virtual learning was integrated into regular educational curricular, it would be very helpful. In school, I often wondered what will I need this information for in the future? This could definitely help with this process. The text notes, "The Virtual Organization simulation could one day be a student's first experience with an organizational media environment that will later be encountered on the job" (p.212). The fact that you're learning something in a cyberspace atmosphere is also a plus.

While reading about this, I kept thinking about my little brother. He is a twin and has always learned at a slower level than most kids, he also has a speech issue. For this reason, for most of his life, he has been in special ed classes. But if you give him his Nintendo DS or a Wii controller he will put you to shame, lol. I think that someone like him would definitely appreciate and benefit from a virtual learning environment. The interactive nature of the program or software would definitely be a PLus!

I recently was interviewed by Bank of America and in one of their processes they show you multiple interactive cartoon videos of incidents that happen in a bank and you must make decisions based on what you experienced. It's kind of cool because it's not like watching people act or a video recording. The 3-Dish video really makes you feel like your in apart of the banking atmosphere, very realistic. Just another example of how virtual reality (or similar programs) can help in the learning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment