Monday, November 12, 2012

My Thoughts and Reflections on Bolter and Gromala's Windows & Mirrors: Chapters 7-Colophon

     Chapter 7 called into question how we view the world and the internet. Are we looking at it from an individual point of view, completely divorced from society? Or, do we view the world through a kaleidoscope of social constructs and ideologies? Personally, I don’t think I know a single person who can view cyberspace without bringing society into the picture. I know I can’t divorce my thinking from society. Our culture has a huge impact on us, even though we might try to argue that it doesn’t. 

     Chapter 8 discusses how the SIGGRAPH was designed. I can’t believe how thought went into the design of the space, and where different exhibits were placed! I am not a big fan of museums, but this I would have loved. 

     Chapter 9 includes many different examples of other pieces of digital work. I looked up a few and the GFP Bunny really stuck out. 


Such a simple concept; make a picture or an albino rabbit glow and make up a back story about genetic modification. Then watch as the dialogue about it explodes! One of my favorite things is to watch how people respond to things on the internet. It’s like the anonymity of the net gives people cart-blanche to be rude, judgmental, close-minded, or unbending. Some people will have such explosive and passionate reactions to different things.  It makes you wonder if people would have the same reactions if they heard it first hand from the person who wrote it, instead of reading it online.

     And, finally, the colophon, which happens to be a new word for me! Colophon as described in the Encarta Dictionary: the details of the title, printer, publisher, and publication date given at the end of a book.  The book however describes it as “…typically a brief list at the end of a book of production-related facts, such as: the designer, typeface, compositor, stock, printer, and binder” (pg 164).  I don’t recall ever reading one before!  One thing I found really interesting was how the splash pages utilized Excretia text, but they are snapshots of this text because it is a morphing typeface. This site I think gives us the best example of what it looks like.  Though, we still lose out on the biomorphic aspect as we ourselves are not hooked up to a biofeedback device, so the typeface cannot respond to our stimuli as it should.
I wish I was better with computers because I think it would be so much fun to develop my own morphing typeface.  It would not be biomorphic as people cannot use that in their own homes. At least not yet.    Maybe some day we would be able to hook ourselves up to our computer and use biomorphic text at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment