Sunday, November 25, 2012

Communications and Cyberspace Chapter 8-11

Chapter 8

Very interesting to learn how the Internet really was born.  How curious is it that what was once created by the military is almost obsolete to them to date.  Having served for 8 years in the military as a communications administrator I can tell you first hand that the internet is now mainly used for non-work related tasks within the military.  The military as well as other Department of Defense agencies have had to create their own networks separately from the internet.  The nature of the internet itself does not allow this network to be a secure one, no wonder why these governmental agencies decided on creating their own means to share data.

Chapter 9

The thought of building and information super highway is quite good.  However since we still don't have a tight hold on who is going to be in charge of the regulatory services of this super highway is this even possible to be controlled.  I find it very difficult for the Government in any way to get involved in this kind of a project. I do believe that this kind of super highway already exists.  The problem is that the common user like us, the students in this class have to continue to pay in order to use this superhighway.  We will continue to be this way since all of the companies that have built this highway have an interest of making money out of the infrastructure they have created.

Chapter 10

The Digital Divide is surely not as big as it was when the book was published.  However I do believe that there is still a huge divide amongst the different groups within the United States.  There are still Millions of Americans that are considered to be within the poverty level.  And with recent downward trends with the economy, this number is probably not going to lessen any time soon.  I feel that these people could probably care less to pay for internet services when they barely have enough money to buy a decent meal.  This also goes along the lines that if people are not solvent enough to pay for the simplest needs as food and shelter, they will probably not have College as one of their priorities.  Again this lack of education forbids one from having access to this network of knowledge.

Chapter 11

This is probably one of the most controversial topics to discuss within the internet topics.  It is so difficult to control something that is so readily available to everyone that is out there exposed to all of the web traffic on the internet.  I tried doing a search on a popular search engine like Google.com.  The settings were set to Strict.  My search was simple, I typed in the word Women.  I then received close to 5,000,000 hits from the images category.  I then changed the settings to moderate and the hits increased by 2,000,000 to 7 million.  I then changed the settings to off, and the hits doubled to 14 million.  I cannot say that I had any hardcore naked pictures of women, however I did see some soft-core pictures as well as some models wearing underwear and bathing suits. Now as I have mentioned what I did to get my results it is not hard to see how easy this is.  I can assure you that any child who is old enough to know how to do a google search will be capable of taking the same steps I took.  If the information is out there, there will always be a way to get one's hands on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment