Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Last Chapters & Hurricane Sandy's Disturbance [Repost - Deleted By Accident]

10/30/12

I cant say it enough, I really enjoyed reading Bolter & Gromala's Windows & Mirrors. The information was clear, concise and interesting. When I first started reading chapter 7 I was a bit apprehensive. I didn't understand the concept of Terminal Time and how it connected with the lesson of contextual design. However, after reading the statement "digital technology cannot take us to a place that is purged of cultural assumption" (p. 136) the chapter started to make more sense. This chapter appealed to me because of its emphasis on digital design and its effects on our experience. While reading I found myself thinking about how successful Apple products are. They really make you feel like you belong to a MAC nation. LoL! I think their products are so uniquely designed that you kind of feel like you have something exclusive. The products also have really high performance ratings as well. In the last chapter Bolter and Gromala make a point that Structuralists and Designers must work together to create the best digital experience for the user. "Attractive things work better, he tells us, because users will overlook minor flaws in their artifacts if they are pleased by the appearance" (p.153) I would definitely have to agree with this statement. And, referring back to my example, I think that is why Apple is so popular!

Overall, I love the points Bolter & Gromala made throughout the text. Digital design is not all about technological advancement but also about the integrated experience it creates for the user!

PS. I am at home in Union and Hurricane Sandy knocked out my power early evening yesterday. I had the joy of typing this post on my phone lol. Anyway, I hope the hurricane didn't damage any of you guys' property and I also hope everyone is safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment