Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Final Blog Post...

I am blogging right now, so it's definitely evident how instrumental blogging has become in this new media world. The second half of the text discusses blogging and it's MANY benefits. Personally, I admire the field of blogging. Journalism is such a hard career to get into. So, blogging made becoming a journalist so much more easier and much more rewarding. Of course, everyone with a blog can't be called a journalist but the act of sharing news (fashion, music, current events) on such large yet different scales is pretty amazing. "The personal control that the writer has over his or her blog means that the blog can be about any subject" (p.83). Blogging has given lots of people the freedom to state their opinion and make money off of it. As a result, it's also caused professional journalists to step up their game because there's a lot more competition now!

And also a quick shout-out to Paul Levinson for making a reference to one of my favorite shows in the world: The Wire. LOL! Stringer Bell actually happens to be my second favorite character so it was nice to see him mentioned and used to make a point.




Anyway, towards the end of text, Levinson discusses less popular social mediums like FourSquare, Myspace, etc. I never really got into Foursqaure, I find it rather creepy. Most of the time people just use it to brag /prove where they are at. As for Myspace, I definitely remember when I was obsessed. When I was in high school, a person's Myspace defined them, everything from your profile page music, the pictures in your albums, to  the crucial importance of your top 8. Haha. Thinking back, Myspace was one of the most innovative networks ever created, it's a shame it didn't last. :(

Thankfully, Levinson also discusses the negative aspects of new media like cyber-bullying, spam, and craiglist scams to name a few...Has anyone ever seen the Lifetime film, the "Craiglist Killer".....


It's a crazy movie but it's based off the life of Phillip Markoff. The movie really scared me. About two years ago, I sold my blackberry through craigslist. I made the man who was buying it meet me at a very busy mall. I called my friends and told them if they didn't hear from me in a few minutes then something was wrong.. LOL. Luckily, the transaction went smoothly.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was by far the most easiest to read and most practical. It's been nice learning with you all. Good Luck on your remaining finals and have a great holiday break!


No comments:

Post a Comment