Monday, December 3, 2012

New New Media Chapters 1-5

New New Media? It seems like every time I turn around there is a new form of new media hitting the net. I remember my first real encounters with social media when I was a freshman in college in 2007. That's the year I first discovered myspace and Facebook. Before college I only used the computer for homework and often wondered online to listen to music and enter a chat room here and there nothing to big. Once I entered college the Internet become a big part of my life. I signed up for Myspace and Facebook at the same time and everything changed after that. I had hundreds of friends on both myspace and facebook and found my self updated statues through out the day. Right now the youtube, twitter, facebook and instagram are some of the hottest new forms of new media. These forms of media are so appealing to users because users control what the contents on their pages will be. "The media that allow consumers to become producers are undoubtedly social and far more interactive." ( New New Media pg2) I think this is the reason why so many are becoming addicted to these new medias. You can be anything you want, you can see anything you want and its all for free. You can create a profile on facebook/twitter/ YouTube and gain thousands of Friends / followers/ subscribers that you might not be able to have in real life. But a few questions creep into my mind when I see teens on Facebook talking about relationship problems on statues or posting sexy pictures on instagram. A lot of the digital world is highly sexual. These kids want to fit and they want followers on these sites so they try hard to be "cybergenic" to become popular. Kids these days are on their computers and smart phones more and more in 2012. This is a new generations that's being brought up in a digital age.... What does it mean? children of today are becoming addicted to social networks!



On Showtime there's a new documentary called Sexy Baby That airs on December  7th at 10 pm. This Documentary is about the new generation growing up in the digital world and the effects it has on their upbringing. Libraries are becoming empty now that any information needed can be found online. When I was in grade school our teachers made all the students get library cards and I doubt that's done today. I think children spending more and more time on new medias is detrimental.


No comments:

Post a Comment